Sunday, September 6, 2009

My Guardian Angel

I believe in God. I believe in Angels. I believe that God sends Guardian Angels to protect us in our times of need.

I was blessed with a Guardian Angel named Loneice -- an angry looking, six foot tall black girl with a rather intimidating presence. She was hostile and seemed agitated most of the time...giving you the impression that she was ready to SNAP at any moment. Everyone steered clear of her.

Well I don't remember exactly how or when it happened...but by the grace of God, Loneice and I bonded instantly. She was to be my Guardian Angel, under whose protective wing I remained safe and sound throughout high school. After all, here I was -- a 5'3" white girl -- enrolled in an all-girls public high school in The Bronx with a 90% black/hispanic student population. This was during the height of racial tension and I was very vulnerable. Yet, thanks to Loneice, this little white girl never once got her ass kicked.

And God only knows how Loneice had the energy to look after me. You see, I had discovered that Loneice was secretly battling a life-threatening bone-marrow disease for which she'd been hospitalized over and over again. As part of an ongoing treatment, she had to take over 20 pills a day. That's why she always looked pissed off. Because she was seriously ill. By all accounts, time was precious to Loneice and therefore, she simply had no time for people's shit.

God bless Loneice. My Guardian Angel.


No comments:

Post a Comment