Monday, September 7, 2009

Child Rearing: Window Sill Bondage

When I was growing up in the South Bronx, there was a girl named Sonia who lived in the projects across the street from my house. She lived on the third floor. The most vivid memory I have of Sonia is that of her sitting on the window sill, tied up with some clothesline rope. watching all of us kids play on the street below. It was common knowledge in our neighborhood that if Sonia was tied up, it meant she was being punished by her parents. Just like "time-out", only South Bronx style. Sometimes she'd be on that windowsill for hours, watching the action of our block. We'd all wave up to her and she'd wave back. She never looked like she was in pain or anything and I don't ever remember seeing her cry.

Sonia's bondage seemed unusual, perhaps, but not necessarily harsh. At that time, my own father used to discipline my sisters and I with a leather belt. My father was a tough guy with a bad temper and I was an emotional wreck....so not for nothing, but I had my own problems.

At 11 years old.
Abnormal was normal.
My whole neighborhood was dysfunctional -- a perfect blend of winos, junkies, blue collar workers and rose bushes.
The landlord lived upstairs from us. He and his wife were God-fearing, church-going people. Their son lived downstairs from us. He was a brazen, big time heroin dealer who feared no one.
I liked the whole family. They were really nice.

Sometimes I think about Sonia and wonder whatever happened to her. As an adult, did she suffer emotional and psychological damage from the disciplinary bondage, or was she able to rise above her bizarre life experience and discover that in New York City, you can make a
really decent living as a dominatrix?

The past is spent energy.
Right, wrong or otherwise.
The future is now.
Yours to create.
Strength of spirit is
always
your ultimate power source.
Plug in.

No comments:

Post a Comment